School of Education & Counseling

Transition Specialist Endorsement Certificate  Post-Master's Certificate

Earn a Transition Specialist Endorsement certificate to support students, families and schools in helping students with disabilities and individualized education programs (IEPs) transition to adult life.

15 Credits
Starts September 3, 2024


Learn more about modalities >>


Transition Specialist Endorsement Certificate Program Overview

Endorsed by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE), this post-master's certificate provides specialized training in assisting students with disabilities and IEPs to transition from school to adult life.

The Cambridge College Transition Specialist Endorsement certificate program will provide licensed and experienced educators and counselors with the legal, ethical and practical knowledge necessary to effectively support students, families and schools throughout the student's transition.

Based out of our Boston campus, courses in this certificate program are taught in a hybrid format through scheduled remote (Zoom) and self-paced online (asynchronous) classes.

Transition Specialist Endorsement Certificate Program Highlights & Learning Outcomes

The Transition Specialist Endorsement certificate requires four courses and a 150-hour field-based experience.

Upon completion of this program, you will be able to:

  • Meet the unique and complex educational needs of students with disabilities and IEPs to transition from school to adult life
  • Assist public schools with inter-agency collaboration and coordination
  • Assist families of students with disabilities and IEPS to participate meaningfully in planning their children’s transition from school to adult life

Transition Specialist Endorsement Certificate Tuition Information

Cost Per Credit
Total Program Tuition
Cost Per Credit$639
Credits* 15 credits
Total Program Tuition $9,585

*See curriculum sheet for a breakdown of credits and credit ranges.

Prospective graduate degree students for programs in the School of Education & Counseling must satisfy the following requirements plus any program-specific requirements your program may have.

  1. Complete and sign the online application.
  2. Pay the application fee. Pay your $50 ($100 for international students) application fee by the term start date.
  3. Send official transcripts. Maildirectly to Cambridge College in a sealed, unopened envelope. Learn How to Send Transcripts. Required degrees must be from accredited colleges or universities.
    • Master's and most graduate certificate programs require an earned bachelor's degree.
    • Post-master's certificates and CAGS require an earned master's degree.
    • International transcripts must be translated and evaluated by an approved agency. See all international student requirements
  4. Send your résumé and work experience. Send your resume that details your education and work experience, including how they pertain to your career goals. If your SEC program has a work experience requirement, it will be listed in the Program-Specific Requirements section below.
  5. Submit your personal statement. Write a 500-word, typed, double-spaced essay describing your professional experience, goals and objectives for graduate study. How do you expect your graduate studies to enhance your future career?
  6. Include two professional recommendations (not required for fully online programs). These should address your professional character and ability to perform graduate work. Download Applicant Recommendation Form
  7. Interview (required for some programs). If your program requires an interview, it will be listed in the Program-Specific Requirements section below.
  8. Satisfy Health Insurance & Immunization requirements. (Massachusetts only). These are required only for graduate students taking six or more credits per term in Massachusetts through on-campus or hybrid classes. Health insurance may be waived.

Teacher Licensure Program Requirements

In addition to the requirements listed above, our Teacher Licensure Programs have these additional requirements:

  1. Earned bachelor's degree with 3.0 or higher GPA.
  2. MA Educator Documentation from the Massachusetts Dept. of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) website. Keep copies of all documents submitted and, upon admission, post in your electronic portfolio:
    1. Massachusetts Educator Personnel ID (MEPID number)
    2. MTEL Communication & Literacy Test, successfully completed.

Required if completed:

  • Massachusetts preliminary license, if held
  • Sheltered English Instruction requirement
  • Fingerprinting and Criminal Offender Record Information

Applicants who do not initially meet all requirements (e.g. GPA of 3.0 or MTEL) for admission into their chosen licensure program must enroll in the corresponding non-licensure degree option. Students who achieve a 3.0 GPA upon completion of the first three SEC courses, pass the MTELs, and now meet all requirements, may request a change of program.

Disclosures: For all Licensure Programs

  • Licensure requirements are subject to change per Massachusetts regulations. All Cambridge College licensure programs are based on current regulations.
  • All candidates admitted for licensure programs must successfully complete the program in its entirety.
  • All requirements at the time of program completion must be finalized prior to seeking Massachusetts endorsement for licensure purposes.
  • If you have any licensure questions, please speak to your program chair.

Program-Specific Admission Requirements

  • A master's degree or higher is required.
  • Valid Massachusetts initial or professional license as: Teacher of Students with Moderate Disabilities, Teacher of Students with Severe Disabilities, Teacher of Visually Impaired, Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, School Guidance Counselor, Social Worker/School Adjustment Counselor or Rehabilitation Counselor
  • Two years' experience under one of the above licenses, per DESE Guidelines. (No additional MTEL required.)

Transition Specialist Careers

Career options are defined by your original certificate. However, the Transition Specialist Endorsement certificate indicates you have acquired specialized knowledge and skills in assisting students with disabilities and IEPs to transition from school to adult life.

School districts have the authority to require candidates to hold or be eligible for the Transition Specialist Endorsement certificate in addition to their original license.

Faculty Spotlight

Michelle P. Lanner

Michelle P. Lanner


Professor for Transition Endorsement

Michelle Lanner has been with the Brockton Public Schools for 30 years. Currently she is the Assistant Special Education Director for Out Placement Students. Michelle has her CAGS in Administration from Fitchburg State University, received her Master’s in Special Education from Bridgewater State University and her undergraduate in Elementary Education from University of Massachusetts, Amherst. Michelle started at East “Junior” High School as a substantially separate classroom teacher in...