Our dedication to Racial Equality and Social Justice (RESJ) spans decades. Learn more about our RESJ Initiative

time exposed photo of headlights in urban center

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Employment is a great way to supplement the educational experience. Authorization for employment is always required prior to accepting any form of work. See what USCIS has to say about employment for F1 students at http://www.ice.gov/sevis/practical-training.

What is CPT?

  • Authorization for employment which contributes to credits you earn for a specific course.
  • CPT is used during your studies, prior to graduation.
  • If you are graduating at the end of the current term, you may want to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) instead.

Go to Optional Practical Training (OPT) Employment Information

When am I eligible for CPT?

Cambridge College students may apply for CPT after completing two full terms of study.

How long can I work on CPT?

CPT is usually authorized for one semester but can be authorized for a longer period if your instructor feels you would benefit from a longer period of work authorization.

How many hours can I work on CPT?

  • In Fall term: Part-time employment ONLY. Employment MUST NOT exceed 20 hours/week.
  • In Spring term: Part-time employment ONLY: Employment MUST NOT exceed 20 hours/week.
  • In Summer term: Part-time or Full-time employment permitted.
    • If you are authorized for part-time employment, you MUST NOT exceed 20 hours/week.

How do I apply for CPT?

Please plan ahead at least one term if you plan to apply for CPT.  School of Business & Technology graduate students should reach out to Irina Galatskaya, Business Practicum Faculty Advisor & Career Services Manager at irina.galatskaya@cambridgecollege.edu and follow this link for School of Business and Technology (SBT) students:

CPT Business Practicum Step-by-Step Process

Note: Other students (not SBT), please complete each step of the application process in order before you can be authorized for CPT.

  1. Talk to your instructor.
    • Have specific goals in mind. Be prepared to work out a strategy for combining your work experience with your academic coursework.
  2. Apply for internships/jobs.
    • You will need to have an offer of employment before you can move forward with your CPT application. See sample employment offer letter below.
  3. Complete the CPT Authorization form with your Advisor.
    • The ISO cannot authorize CPT if your form is incomplete or unsigned.
  4. Visit the International Student Office.
    • Bring both your employment offer letter and your signed, completed CPT Authorization form to the ISO.
    • You will receive a new I-20 showing your work authorization at this time.
  5. Begin working on your authorization start-date.
    • Do not work before or after your dates of authorization.
    • If you would like an extension, you must receive authorization from your instructor prior to requesting an extension from the ISO.

Request an appointment with the ISO at international@cambridgecollege.edu

Request an appointment with the Career Resource Center at careerservices@cambridgecollege.edu