Requirements for Maintaining F1 Status
Register in each required term
- Your first term of study
- Every Fall term
- Every Spring term
Note: Summer is an optional term, unless it is your first term of study. You may take fewer credits or no credits in summer.
View the current Academic Calendar
Register for sufficient credits
- Undergraduate: 12 credits per required term
- Graduate: 8 credits in each required term
Reduced Course load
You may reduce your course load only for:
- Academic reasons. First term of study only
- Medical reasons. Must have confirmation from a U.S. physician
- Final term of study
Contact the International Student Office BEFORE reducing your course load. Authorization to reduce course load is required for all students.
To request a reduced course load contact the ISO at firstname.lastname@example.org
Attend your classes
Failing a course for "No Show" or "NS" because you missed too many classes or arrived late to class too many times constitutes an unauthorized drop below full course if the course was part of your minimum course load registration. Your I-20 record will be terminated if you drop below full course due to a grade of "NS."
Keep your information current
The Office of International Student Office is required to keep all international student information current. This includes:
- Copies of your current passport, visa, and I-94 card
- Your current residential address in the U.S. and U.S. phone number
- Your current sources of funding for your studies at Cambridge College
- Your current major program of study
Email your updated information to the ISO at email@example.com
Mind your I-20 end-date
- Your program end-date can be found in section 5 on page 1 of your I-20.
- Please contact the ISO immediately if you need additional time to complete your degree.
- If your I-20 expires without an extension, you will be out of status.
Download the Program Extension Request form
Get a travel authorization signature prior to traveling outside the U.S.
- You are required to have a PDSO or DSO's signature on page 3 of your I-20 prior to returning to the U.S. in F1 status from overseas. Each signature is valid for 12 months.
- If you travel outside the U.S. and re-enter without a travel signature, you are required to file form I-515A within 30 days of your arrival in the U.S. Failure to do so will result in termination of your F1 status.
Email the ISO about a travel signature at firstname.lastname@example.org
Regain F1 status if your record is terminated/completed
If your record is terminated for a violation of the terms of your F1 status, you will need to either:
- Apply for Reinstatement to F1 status, or
- Travel outside the U.S. and re-enter on an initial I-20
Please make an appointment with the ISO to discuss your options for regaining F1 status.
Email the ISO about regaining F1 status email@example.com
Students in F1 status are permitted to engage in on-campus employment without special authorization. However, the only on-campus employment available at Cambridge College is federally funded (Work-Study), and is therefore unavailable to international students.
CPT and OPT Work Authorization
International students at Cambridge College may only engage in employment if they first receive authorization from the federal government to do so. Work authorization comes in the form of Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT). Please visit the International Student Employment page for more information about these work authorizations.
Go to CPT Employment Information
Go to OPT Employment Information
Transferring to another School
- International students who are in Active F1 status have the option of transferring to another SEVP-certified school at any point during their program of study.
- In order to transfer to another school, please bring your acceptance letter from that school and either that school's Transfer-In form or the Cambridge College Transfer-out Request form completed and signed.
- Your record will be released at the end of the current term.
Download the Transfer-out Request form
If you are a student on OPT, please be aware that transferring before the end of your OPT authorization cancels the remainder of your OPT. Please contact the ISO to discuss your options if you are on OPT and interested in transferring to another institution.
Email the ISO about transfer while on OPT at firstname.lastname@example.org
Resources for Students
Request a Letter
Letter of Good Standing
For current/past International Students at Cambridge College, the International Student Office is happy to issue a letter confirming that you are/were an international student maintaining F1 status at Cambridge College.
Email the ISO for a Letter of Good Standing at email@example.com
Letter of Invitation
For family members and friends of current international students who are applying for a visitor visa to come to the U.S., please download, complete, and email the Letter of Invitation to the International Student Office to be signed and stamped.
Download the Letter of Invitation
Applying for a renewed F1 visa
- If your visa has expired, you ONLY need to renew it if you plan to travel outside the U.S.
- To renew your visa, plan to travel to your home country. Renewing your visa in a country other than your home country is strongly discouraged. You cannot renew your visa within the U.S.
- If you need to renew your visa, please make an appointment with the International Student Office at least TWO WEEKS before you plan to travel.
Request an appointment with the ISO at firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the Transcript Request Form
Applying for your Social Security Number (SSN)
Applying for a Massachusetts State ID or Driver's License
- To receive a state-issued identification card (ID), please apply for a State ID.
- To receive a license to drive a car or motorcycle in the United States, please apply for a driver's license.
- To learn more about required documents for application, please visit the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles website.