time exposed photo of headlights in urban center

Student Non-Acacemic Complaints

A student complaint is any unresolved issue that a student feels should be addressed to the dean of student affairs. This process resolves differences within the College; it is not a legal forum.

Here are the steps for handling concerns and complaints:

STEP 1 - Promptly discuss issue with the office involved and act upon their suggestions towards resolution. Connect with the director of that office or your Cambridge College regional site director if necessary. Resolution of complaints or grievances usually begins with this informal discussion with the person or office immediately concerned. Your academic advisor, program director, center director, or the dean of student affairs can suggest the appropriate channel for resolving particular complaints, and may assist you with the resolution.
Please make every effort to resolve an issue at step 1. Do not proceed to step 2 unless no adequate resolution has been achieved.

STEP 2 - Students who want assistance with problem solving are invited to contact the Office of Student Affairs:

  • Submit a Student Concern/Complaint Report to the Office of Student Affairs. Please fill out the report form completely, providing specific details. The dean of student affairs will then review the concern and facilitate further discussion towards a resolution. Cambridge College will make its best effort to resolve issues in a way that is positive for both students and the institution. OR
  • Contact the dean of student affairs, who will serve as the mediator with College offices and administrators. Call 617-873-0470 or e-mail regina.robinson@cambridgecollege.edu. Please provide complete information about the complaint or concern, including:
  1. Student name, ID# and contact information.
  2. Date and nature of the concern.
  3. Names of staff or faculty involved.
  4. Narrative of correspondence with involved parties.
  5. What resolution are you seeking?

If at any time you feel uncomfortable, frustrated, or need additional help in the resolution process, you have the right to contact the dean of student affairs directly as the neutral third party to facilitate the process. However, step 1 above is recommended first.

Grievances may be taken to the appropriate state education commission. Please note that state authorities typically expect a student to make every attempt to resolve a problem within their college first. Each state has its own procedure for handling complaints, often including a student complaint form and other documentation. They typically do not accept anonymous complaints.

State Resources

Complaints are handled by the state education commissions listed below for the main campus and regional locations. Students who reside in other states see also Complaint Process for All States, below.

California - A student or any member of the public may file a complaint/grievance with the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education at any time by calling 1-888-370-7589 or by completing a complaint form, which can be obtained on the bureau’s web site.

Massachusetts - Massachusetts Board of Higher Education
One Ashburton Place, Room 1401, Boston, MA  02108
Phone: 617-994-6950

Puerto Rico - Puerto Rico Council on Higher Education
PO Box 19900, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00910-1900
Phone: 787-641-7100
Fax: 787-641-2573

Other External Resources

Standards for Accreditation - The NEASC complaint procedures are solely for the purpose of addressing significant non-compliance with the Standards for Accreditation, not for individual dispute resolution. Contact: New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (CIHE)
3 Burlington Woods Drive, Suite 100, Bedford, MA  01803  
Phone: 781.425.7714 or  Email

Equal Opportunity, Harrassment, Sexual Harrassment - Please contact:
The United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
John F. Kennedy Federal Building, 475 Government Center
Boston, MA 02203.
Phone: 617-565-3200
EEOC offices nationwide

Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD)
One Ashburton Place, Sixth Floor, Room 601, Boston, MA 02108
Phone: 617-994-6000
436 Dwight Street, Second Floor, Room 220, Springfield, MA 01103
Phone: 413-739-2145

FERPA - If the College fails to comply with FERPA requirements, written complaints may be submitted to:
Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, DC  20202-8520

Complaint Process for All States

Resources for Student Complaint ProcessesState Higher Education Exectuve Officers Assoc. provides a directory of agencies responsible for directory of agencies and individuals responsible for implementing state postsecondary quality assurance laws for all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. You can download their current directory (at time of printing). 

The directory information should not be construed as informative of what agencies regulate the institution or in what states the institution is licensed or required to be licensed. States, through the relevant agencies or attorney generals offices will accept complaints regardless of whether an institution is required to be licensed in that state.