Date of Original Implementation: New
Date of Last Revision: June 2011
The President shall have such duties and responsibilities as required by the Board of Trustees. The President shall be the spokesperson of the College and shall be responsible for articulating and maintaining the mission, culture and values of the College. Unless otherwise provided by the Board of Trustees, by law, by the College's Articles of Incorporation or By-Laws, or as otherwise indicated in this policy, the President shall have the authority to sign all instruments and documents and bind the College to the same as well as make such expenditures, hires or obligations on behalf of the College as the President determines are necessary to carry out the business and purposes of the College. Notwithstanding this general delegation of broad powers and authority, the Board of Trustees specifically reserves unto itself the following items of final authority in order to preserve its fiduciary oversight of the operations of the College.
Items That Require Approval by the Board of Trustees (or Board Executive Committee)
- Approval of the budget.
- Banking, Depository or Investment contracts.
- Contracts, purchases, or agreements in the amount of $300,000 or more (except for external grants or materials/services purchased for emergencies resulting from disasters, hazards, or other exigent circumstances).
- Long-term (6 months or more) facility leases.
- Purchase, sale, exchange, or gifts of real property.
- Ratification of Union Contracts.
- Any non-academic employment agreement that is beyond the union contracts and attempts to establish any arrangement other than at-will employment.
- Personnel matters involving the President, including changes to the contract, leaves of absences, outside employment, etc.
- Policy statements which govern the activities of the entire College, including general, financial and administrative, major academic policies and student policies.
- Settlements (advance approval required for settlements in excess of the $300,000 contract authority with all settlements otherwise reported to the Board), consent decrees, authority to enter into litigation (executive session only).
- Tuition rates (exceptions to the Board approved tuition rates may only be made by the President or Provost).
- Designation of a name for College buildings, facilities, programs, etc.
- Approval of the College Strategic Plan.
- Approval of Honorary Degrees.
Responsible for Implementation: President
Contact for Revision: President and General Counsel